- 3 tbsp butter or bacon grease
- 2 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed, cut tips and chop stalks inot 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 stalks leeks, chop thinly
- 1 lb white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt and pepper
- 3 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 tbsp lemon or mandarin juice
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- Heat dutch oven to medium high, and add 1 1/2 tbsp butter.
- Add asparagus tips and stir frequently for 5 minutes until spears are dark green and tender. Remove and set aside
- Add the rest of the butter in the dutch oven. When sizzling add asparagus stalks, leeks, potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook and cover for 15 minutes in medium heat
- Add broth to pot and bring to a voil over medium-high heat. reduce heat to medium low and simmer for another 20 minutes
- Puree soup in blender and return to pot.
- Stir in lemon juice and more salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in asparagus spears.
- Serve in a bowl and drizzle a tablespoon of heavy cream over the soup.